Saturday, April 29, 2017

Buzzfeed Writer Horrified to Learn Kentucky Machete Attacker Was Her Online Troll

She said “coddling campus environments breed this kind of entitlement.”

Go to Original
By Sarah K. Burris


Tracy Clayton, who is from Kentucky, attended school at Transylvania University, where a Republican student went on a violent rampage with a machete.
Mitchell W. Adkins, of Cincinnati, claimed he was unwelcome at TU as a conservative Trump supporter, while Clayton wrote extensively about the racism she experienced on the campus.
“Every day I was reminded just how unwelcome I was there,” Clayton said.
One floor of the school’s dorms held the fraternity Kappa Alpha Order, and Clayton noted that every window in the dorm sported a Confederate flag. “Those flags never let me forget that I was not wanted at any point in history, not then and not now, not in my temporary home, the place where I slept, the place my mother was spending her hard-earned money to send me,” Clayton said.
After writing the article, someone sent her a link to an opposing article written by someone at the school calling her a liar. They said the discrimination conservatives face now comes at the hands of those seeking “diversity,” which “is an attack on whiteness.”
Not long after, Clayton found out that Adkins had posted an article about attacking non-Republicans, that even referenced her experience. He claimed that within his first week on campus, he’d already made enemies simply because he was a Republican.
“After I wrote the piece that I wrote I was v worried about people not believing me [sic],” Clayton wrote on Twitter. “I was flat out called a liar by some. I was called a liar by people who went to school with me, people who saw that sh*t happened. So, I worried about not being believed [sic].”
She said that this letter from the attacker serves as proof to her that “coddling campus environments breed this kind of entitlement.”
Clayton explained, “It’s not rare for awful thoughts to escalate and become awful actions. I’m not blaming Transy for the people this dude hurt but I am saying that I did not make that sh*t up. I was not lying."
She still has fond feelings for her alma mater, “but I don’t wish this on them or the victims or anyone. My heart is with y’all [sic].”
Adkins' actions terrified the campus, but only one survivor was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. 

No comments: